Sunday, May 8, 2011

Be Kind To Your Web-footed Friend, For A Duck May Be Somebody's Mother


Court and Mom, before digital cameras.

Do you have a wonderful mother? I do, and that’s why today’s post is all about my mother.  Without my mother, Court couldn’t make that, so it is perfectly fitting to spend a blog post waxing poetic about my mom.

She taught me how to sew.  She taught me how to cook.  She taught me how to jump off a trotting horse, how to sing “Be kind to your web-footed friend, for a duck may be somebody’s mother” to the tune of the Star Spangled Banner, and that you should never match your eye shadow to the color of your shirt because it can look tacky.  She taught me how to make everyday, practical things beautiful.  She’s amazing, and not just because of her craft-related skills.   She is the most wonderful, patient, humble, kind, wise, elegant woman who I know.  I can hardly let a day go by without thanking God for letting me be her daughter.  We're alarmingly similar- we have the same eyes (although I totally missed out on her height and generally willowy-ness), have been known to buy the same clothes at different stores in different towns with no idea of the other's intentions, and today we both quoted the most recent episode of Modern Family to each other at the same time.

So what I’m getting at is this….Mother’s day is a special day, because I like to let my mom know how much I love her and how much I appreciate her.  For this Mother’s Day, I had an old picture of the two of us enlarged and framed for her.  I knew she loved this picture, and I do too.  I hope someday I’m a great mother like mine.
Yep, this is sort of hilarious looking. But who can resist the classic "recreate the photo holding the photo" shot?

PS- We celebrated on Saturday so that's why she's already gotten her present.  

1 comment: