Sunday, May 15, 2011

Georgia: Just a scone's throw away from the UK, right?


As any true admirer of Jane Austen, I often find myself sipping a cup of tea while reading a favorite novel. In fact, I’ve quite the teapot collection, but that is another story for another time.  Now, as a southern girl my first recollection of tea is of course of sweet iced tea and I must admit that on a true Georgia summer day you’d be hard pressed to find something more delicious. 

That said, hot tea is almost equally delightful and certainly deserving of the appropriate baked good to accompany it.  In an effort to complement my tea with a worthy companion I recently tried my hand at making scones with a recipe I found in Southern Living.   I used white whole wheat flour rather than white all-purpose flour, however.  The scones still turned out quite delicious, I think.  I had every intention of adding walnuts to them but after painstakingly chopping all the nuts I completely forgot to add them.  To make up for this negligence I melted a bit of chocolate to add to their tops so that my dear little scones might not look so unclothed. Next time, I plan on adding dried cranberries and using skim milk, just to see how it works with a bit less fat. Recipe after the picture!
This china belonged to my great-grandmother!

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup whipping cream, divided
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly and mixture resembles small peas. Freeze 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cream, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
2. Turn dough out onto wax paper; gently press or pat dough into a 7-inch round (mixture will be crumbly). Cut round into 8 wedges. Place wedges 2 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush tops of wedges with remaining 2 Tbsp. cream just until moistened.
3. Bake at 450° for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden.


YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment