Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Healthy Dose of Deception: White Bean Blondies

A Healthy Dose of Deception: White Bean Blondies

I like spy/detective comedies like Get Smart ( w/ Don Adams) and The Pink Panther (w/ Peter Sellers). I like preposterous CIA shows like White Collar and Covert Affairs. I like hilarious detective shows like Psych and Monk. I like getting-it-done-our-way-who-cares-about-the-law-we-are-the-law-and-we-are-also-like-a-family shows like NCIS. Basically, I like (fictional) lies, deception, and secrets!  To satisfy my taste for intrigue and scandal, I’ve hidden a scandalously healthy vegetable….in plain sight (I do NOT like the show In Plain Sight, actually) Better yet, in a place where you would hardly expect it! In….(dramatic pause) A DESSERT!

I’ve tried recipes for black bean brownies before (1 can beans, pureed + 1 box brownie mix= a pretty tasty fudgy brownie….by the way that’s a recipe I learned from a friend’s mom) so I thought it was high time to address a high protein, high fiber, low fat solution to the brownie’s paler cousin, the blondie.  Don’t be afraid. You really can’t taste the beans unless you’re looking for them.  I’m still fiddling around with this recipe, but they were a hit with my family- gone in 2 days! (I thought they were much better warm and on the first day)  I know some of you will think this is disgusting, but if I gave it to you without telling you what was in it….you might just like it! (But of course, I wouldn’t do that to you. So, without further ado, here’s the recipe.  Try it out yourself!  It’s also good with butterscotch chips or white chocolate chips added!

1 cup tightly packed dark brown sugar
1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup skim milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup All-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts, chopped.

 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray 8X8 pan with cooking spray. Mix flour, salt, baking powder and soda; set aside.  Puree the beans in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Mix with brown sugar, milk, and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients, mix. Stir in chopped nuts. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Surprise!!!
Also, here's a shout-out to my readers from Slovenia, where, according to the blogger stats, there are quite a few folks reading my nonsense.  I'm not sure how that happened, but you're very welcome here, and perhaps you can send me some Slovenian recipes....

No comments:

Post a Comment