Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Veggies for Breakfast: Green Smoothies


After living without a proper blender for upwards of 4years, I finally received one for Christmas from my  beloved brother and sister-in-law (and baby niece).  Now the word of smoothies is finally open to me (No longer shall I be held captive by Smoothie King andPlanet Smoothie).

My favorite new smoothies to make are green smoothies.  Green smoothies are pretty much just like regular smoothies but with the addition of green vegetables.  With the right balance of fruit to greens, it tastes pretty much just like a regular smoothie but you get all those lovely  vitamins and minerals that green veggies are high in! (High in vitamin C,vitamin E, vitamin K, fiber, iron, calcium, lutein, folate, carotenoids)

Here is my recipe:

1 cup almond milk
1 tbsp honey
1 banana
½ cup frozen peaches
1 cup fresh spinach (loosely packed J )

Blend and enjoy!
So far this is my favorite green smoothie.  Of course, you can use whatever you like, really. I’ve seen a few that have green tea and kale, so I might try that next.Well..maybe next week actually, because right now I’m stuck on peanut butter banana smoothies! (perhaps a future post…)

Tip: When making green smoothies, avoid darker colored fruits like berries because when they mix with the spinach your smoothie comes out brown.  It still tastes okay, but it is not particularly beautiful to look at. Besides, when it is brown I expect it to taste like chocolate and when it doesn’t I am sorely disappointed.

BY THE WAY...

You should go check out my friend Isaac's blog.  He just started it and it is going to be sort of like a manly version of my blog.  Click Here For The Link!


No comments:

Post a Comment